List of Real Goods Necessary for a Good LifeÂ
What every person “needs” in order to live a whole good life (happiness)
Enough, or as much as justice allows.
These goods are not completely within our own power to obtain.
- Biological Sustenance: Food, Drink, Clothing and Shelter.
- Health: Physical and Mental.
- Friendship and Love: Family, Associations and Fraternities.
- Civil Peace
- Political Power: Citizenship with Suffrage.
- Free Time: For Omnibus Self-improvement, Rest and Play.
- Satisfaction: Of Innocuous Wants.
Cannot be possessed in excess.
These goods are completely within our own power to obtain.
The habit of right desire;
habit of right choices about actions to be taken.
(Analytically distinct but not existentially distinct —
you cannot possess one without the others.)
- Temperance: Habit of resisting and limiting immediate pleasures for a future good.
- Fortitude: Habit of suffering pain or discomfort for a future good.
- Justice: Habit of concern for the good of others and community welfare.
- Prudence: Habit of right judgment or choices of the means for attaining the right end.
Good habits in the use of the intellect.
(Analytically and existentially distinct —
you can possess one without the others.)
- Speculative: Knowledge, Understanding, and Speculative Wisdom.
- Practical: Art or Skill, Prudence or Practical Wisdom (habit of right choices about decisions to be made).
[Great Books of the Western World GBotWW=”1″]