CALLED UNTO LIBERTY, 20TH cENTURY SERMONS, SPENCER W. KIMBALL
This America is no ordinary country . . . . It was consecrated as a land of promise to the people of the Americas, to whom God gave these great promises:
- It will be a land of liberty to its people. (2 Nephi 1:7)
- They shall never be brought down into captivity. (Idem.)
- And there shall be none to molest them. (Ibid., 1:9)
- It is a land of promise. (I Nephi 2:20)
- It shall be free from all nations under heaven.
- There shall be no enemies come into this land.
- It shall be free from bondage. (Ether 2:12)
- There shall be no kings upon the land. (2 Nephi 10:11)
- I will fortify this land against all other nations. (Ibid., 10:12)
- He that fighteth against Zion shall perish. (Ibid., 10:13)
But these promises, glorious though they be, desirable as they are, can come only
. . . if they will but serve the God of this land who is Jesus Christ . . . (Ether 2:12)
There is only one way. That infallible cure is simply righteousness, obedience, Godliness, honor and integrity. There is no other cure. Mountains of arms and ammunitions will not guarantee safety, for enemies can also build fortifications and missiles and bomb shelters. If we would but believe the prophets! For they have warned that if the inhabitants of this land are ever brought down into captivity and enslaved, it shall be because of iniquity; for if iniquity shall abound cursed shall be the land. (See 2 Nephi 1:7)
The prophet exclaims again with fervor:
And now we . . . behold the decrees of God concerning this land, that it is a land of promise: and whatsoever nation shall possess it shall serve God, or they shall be swept off when the fulness of his wrath cometh upon them when they are ripened in iniquity. (Ether 2:9) . . .
Return to “Called Unto Liberty” Home Page.
Source: Spencer W. Kimball. Excerpt from his October 1961 General Conference Address, “Come Listen to a Prophet’s Voice.” Spencer W. Kimball served as the 12th President of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.
Called Unto Liberty is researched, compiled, and edited (with occasional commentary and explanatory notes) by Steve Farrell, Founder and Editor In Chief of The Moral Liberal.