The fix is in. The House Judiciary Committee holds a hearing Tuesday on the badly misnamed “Equality Act.” But don’t expect dispassionate analysis at the hearing. That’s not its purpose. Instead, House Democrats will parade alleged victims of discrimination before the cameras in an attempt to manipulate public opinion.
What you won’t hear from Democrats is that this dangerous legislation threatens the free exercise of religion, freedom of conscience and freedom of speech. And that it’s a payoff to the LGBT lobby–one designed to impose their agenda on all Americans. The includes people of faith like you and me because the bill does not exempt churches or religious employers, organizations or colleges.
Further, it specifically forbids raising religious free exercise as a claim or defense to the LGBT agenda!
The “Equality Act” amends the Civil Rights Act of 1964 by striking the word “sex,” and inserting “sex, sexual orientation, and gender identity” as protected classes throughout the federal code. This amendment applies to employment, housing, facility rental, public accommodations and much more.
+ + This severely flawed legislation threatens all of us!
- Church leadership and nonprofit faith-based organizations and schools would be forced to hire gender-confused individuals and allow men access to female (or vice versa) restrooms, showers, locker rooms, dressing rooms, shelters, dormitories and sports.
- Churches that provide weddings or baby showers would be forced to provide the same facilities to LGBT events and “same-sex weddings.” Church tax-exemption and college accreditation (including federal student loans) would be greatly affected.
- Faith-based adoption agencies would be forced to go against their religious beliefs and convictions and would be required to place children in homes with same-sex couples. The bill also demands that religious families accept practicing LGBT minors in their homes as a prerequisite for being approved as foster parents. State social services could also remove children from their home if the parents oppose the child’s “right to transition to a person of the other sex” or enter homosexual relationships.
- Christian business professionals (photographers, artists, bakers, wedding planners, printers, etc.) would be forced to use their creative expression to promote the LGBT agenda or face fines and imprisonment. Home-based businesses would be forced to hire and welcome LGBT into their privately-owned homes. Under the Equality Act, property owners would be forced to accept renters whose actions violate their religious beliefs, including renting out a room in their home or their private vacation home.
- This bill also gags counselors from giving professional help to those minors and adults facing unwanted same-sex desires or actions. It even punishes counselors who share their own story of finding freedom in Christ from homosexuality.
This bill literally sets the stage for making the Bible prohibited material wherever it addresses homosexual actions.
In brief, we will see an increase of instances in which Christians and others are being punished unless they violate their beliefs in order to comply with such a law. And that is just the beginning of the lawless chaos that would afflict America.
The House bill’s sponsor, Rep. David Cicilline (D-RI), who is openly homosexual, dared to assert, “we cannot allow claims of religious freedom to be used to discriminate against an LGBT individual.” In other words, their preferred lifestyle trumps our religious liberty.
The Equality Act is not about equality. It eviscerates religious freedom and targets churches with an LGBT wrecking ball. It pushes the LGBT agenda on all people and targets Christianity in every area of life–including the church.
+ + We must unite and stand against the cynically misnamed “Equality Act.”
Liberty Counsel is calling on people of faith to take a stand against the “Equality Act” that targets Christianity in every area of our lives — including the church and faith-based organizations and businesses.
Liberty Counsel’s “Stop the Attack on Religious Liberty” citizen petition targets the U.S. Senate, which is where we must stop this runaway assault on the precious freedoms for which Americans have bled and died. Sadly, House passage is certain since a supermajority of 240 members have already co-sponsored the measure.
Yet, working together, we can stop this overt attack on religious liberty in the U.S. Senate. But only if we speak out loud and strong. That’s why I’m asking you to add your voice to thousands of others by signing Liberty Counsel’s “Stop the Attack on Religious Liberty” today.
Right now, you have a decision to make. You see the threat. You know that risks. Will you act now to protect religious freedom?
The Act, if passed in law, would empower Big Brother to force Americans from all walks of life and faiths to bow to tyranny concerning this highly controversial legislation and divisive issue – or find ourselves on the wrong side of the law.
Used with the permission of Liberty Counsel.
Liberty Counsel is an international nonprofit, litigation, education, and policy organization dedicated to advancing religious freedom, the sanctity of life, and the family since 1989, by providing pro bono assistance and representation on these and related topics.